close arrow-right twitter
School Logo School Logo

Aldeburgh Primary School


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)


Please find below information regarding how Aldeburgh Primary School supports children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.


As a school, we are dedicated to delivering the local offer. More information can be found here.


At the bottom of the page, are downloadable PDFs of our policies and provision maps.


How does the School know if my child needs extra help? 

We know when pupils need help if: 

  • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child, 
  • limited progress is being made and there is poor attainment (approx. 2 years behind Age Related Expectation (ARE)),
  • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress, 
  • poor performance on tests
  • transition conversations from previous settings
  • liaising with external agencies


What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs? 

The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns. If you have concerns then contact the Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo). Details as follows:


School SENDCo                                  Local Advisory Board responsible for SEN

Mrs E Clements                                                      Carolyn Jones


How will I know how the School supports my child? 

Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class or personalised resources to aid children's independence. 

If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy & literacy skills etc. then the pupil may be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning. 

These interventions will be recorded on the school provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings, cost and impact of the intervention) and on the pupil’s individual record which the class teacher/support staff will complete. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENDCo.

Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Headteacher/Senior Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned. 

Occasionally a pupil may need expert support from an outside agency such as, for example, Speech and Language Therapy or behaviour support and then a referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers. 

The Local Governing Board for the school are responsible for entrusting a named person to monitor Safeguarding and Child protection procedures, Local Governing Board are also responsible for the monitoring and correct administration of the Disclosure and Barring service procedures and the school’s Single Central record. In a support and challenge role, the Local Governing Board ensure that the school is inclusive and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the DfE.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs? 

When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily. This may include extra adult support or resources tailored to increase pupil's independence.  If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.

If a child has been identified as having a special educational need, they will be given an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher regularly and by the SENDCo three times per year.

IEPs will be discussed with parents at Parents’ Evenings and a copy given to them.   


How will I know how my child is doing? 

You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evenings. 

Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENDCo by visiting the school office.


How will you help me to support my child’s learning? 

Daily reading with your child is probably one of the most effective (and enjoyable) ways you can help your child. Helping your child complete their reading journal will help them develop their reading and comprehension skills. 

The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child. 

Learning conversation slips will be sent home each week for your child, please use these to engage with your child’s learning. Progress stickers are also sent home approximately once per month, these will give you parents further information about how to support their child at home. 

If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and recommendations are normally provided that can be used at home.

What support will there be for my child’s emotional well-being? 

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. 

These include: 

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher and Welfare Lead are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate mediation sessions are carried out 
  • Members of staff are trained in emotional support interventions such as ELSA and Drawing and talking. Class Teachers can refer children to the SENDCo, if they feel they would benefit from this.
  • If we feel your child would benefit from more specialised advice, we can refer to Suffolk's Special Educational Services (SES). This is a team of specialist teachers who come and assess the child, identify any needs and, if appropriate, put into place a SES inclusion plan, made with the class teacher and any staff working with your child.
  • The school can make referrals to the School Nursing Team who assist with children’s mental and emotional health, if required.